Epicurious Italian Salsa Verde
This classic "green sauce" (not related to the Mexican tomatillo salsa of the same name) can be used as a dip for crudités, grilled shrimp, or focaccia; or spooned over grilled fish, chicken, or lamb.
- 4 (3 1/2 x 3 1/2-inch) slices white sandwich bread, crusts removed
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 4 cups (packed) fresh Italian parsley leaves (from about 2 large bunches)
- 1 1/2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 15 cornichons* (scant 1/2 cup)
- 5 anchovy fillets
- 1/4 cup drained capers
- Fine sea salt
- *Tiny, brine-packed French pickles; available at some supermarkets and at specialty foods stores.
Place bread slices in medium bowl. Pour vinegar over and let stand until bread softens, about 15 minutes.
Transfer bread mixture to processor; add next 5 ingredients and process until almost smooth. Transfer salsa to medium bowl. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; refrigerate. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour; rewhisk before using.